Flower pressing is a timeless craft that brings the beauty of nature indoors. Not all flowers press well, though—the best specimens are relatively flat and have a low moisture content. In this article, we'll explore the top 5 flowers that are perfect for pressing and their unique craft uses.
Pansies have vibrant colors and a flat shape, making them ideal for pressing. They retain their color well even after they've been pressed and dried. You can use them in scrapbooking, card making or in creating a charming flower bookmark.
Violets are small and delicate, which makes them easy to press. They're beautiful in pressed flower art or in homemade paper.
Daisies press very well due to their thin petals and centers. They are very versatile and can be used in a variety of crafts, from wall art to jewelry.
Although not technically a flower, ferns press beautifully and add a touch of greenery to any craft. They're perfect for nature-inspired home decor.
Roses are a classic choice for flower pressing. Choose a rose that isn't fully bloomed, as it will press better. Pressed roses are lovely in frames or included in a floral wreath.
How to Press Flowers
Now that you know which flowers to press, let's discuss the pressing process. Here are some general steps:
- Choose fresh flowers free of moisture.
- Place the flower face down in a book, making sure there is paper between the flower and the book pages.
- Close the book and weigh it down with something heavy.
- Leave the flower to press for 2-3 weeks.
- Carefully remove the pressed flower and use in your craft!
Remember, pressing flowers is a delicate process. Handle your specimens with care to maintain their beauty. And don't forget to experiment! The whole point of crafts is to let your creativity flow and have fun.
Craft Ideas with Pressed Flowers
Now, let's discuss some craft ideas for your pressed flowers:
- Scrapbooking: Pressed flowers can add a unique touch to your scrapbook pages.
- Card Making: A pressed flower can make a homemade card even more special.
- Jewelry: Pressed flowers can be beautifully embedded into resin to create one-of-a-kind pieces of jewelry.
- Home Decor: Pressed flowers can be framed and hung on the wall for a unique and personal touch to your home.
Flower pressing is a creative and calming craft that allows you to explore your artistic side. With these top 5 flowers for pressing, you're well on your way to creating beautiful, nature-inspired crafts.